For a lot of people, choosing the right paint for their basketball court is like a headache. Because of the variety of basketball courts, variety of paint, and lack of proper knowledge about court and paint.
As a basketball lover, I’ve played in almost all the basketball courts including, concrete basketball courts, driveway basketball courts, plywood basketball courts, and in the basketball gym also.
So, I’ve proper knowledge about basketball court varieties and paintings.
In this article, I’ve shared my basketball painting experience and recommended the 5 best outdoor basketball paints. So, let’s start
Jump To The Right Place
Why is good knowledge about paint important?
When it comes to choosing a painting for a basketball court, A lot of people remain under the impression that it isn’t so important.
I remember once one of my neighbors built an outdoor basketball court. He built the court with proper research, a proper plan, and healthy investment.
But when it came to painting the court, he didn’t show interest in it and applied cheap paint there. After a few days when his younger son went there to practice, he slipped and fell down. He got injured on his ankle and has to suffer a lot to recover.
That’s why I always recommend good paint because the cheaper one could cause a slip and could make you injured.
Best Paint For Basketball Court
1) FIXALL Skid Grip Anti-Slip Paint
FIXALL Skid Grip Anti-slip is super anti-skid basketball paint which never let me regret. Whenever someone asks me about the best paint for a concrete basketball court, I simply suggest this one.
This acrylic type paint gives the best anti-slip facility and ensures your safety. It can be used for both indoor and outdoor activities. It’s highly durable also. You don’t need to worry about paint for years after applying this excellent paint.
Although it’s considered the best paint for a concrete basketball court, it gently adheres to most of the surfaces like wood, cement, asphalt, stone, and many more. If you’re looking for the best paint for a plywood basketball backboard, this one will also satisfy you.
- Acrylic and anti-skidding paint
- Ensures the safety
- Glittering over the years
- Adherable on most of the surfaces
- Easy to apply with roller or brush
- Value of money
- Best grip, especially on concrete and plywood.
- Take ample time to dry.
2) INSL-X Lead Block
INSL-X Lead Block is a water-based charming acrylic paint. This elastomeric acrylic lead paint will ensure you the best adhesion, tensile strength characteristics, and durability.
Although it’s adherable to most of the surfaces like wood, plaster, concrete, it is considered the best paint for the driveway basketball court. It also works efficiently on the previously painted surfaces also.
INSL-X Lead Block paint Seals in and blocks lead contained in old lead-based paints. The paint offers a fascinating eggshell finish with low VOC(Volatile organic compounds). It seems like all in one package giving the most surface durability, safety, excellent eggshell finish, and durability.
- Anti-drip features
- Easy to apply
- Anti-skid facility
- Adherable to most surfaces
- Low VOC
- Attractive eggshell finishing
- Can be used as a topcoat or lead paint encapsulation primer.
- A little bit thicker compared to other paints. Need to re-apply twice or thrice to have your desired thickness.
- It takes a long time to become usable. Approximately 12 hours!
3) Kelley Duracourt court paint
Kelley Duracourt court paint is designed for coating asphalt or concrete recreational surfaces. It has been formulated from tough acrylic latex and gives the best traction on the court. Its colorfast coating keeps shining appearances over years and doesn’t fade away in the direct sunshine.
It works great on both indoor and outdoor surfaces. But many users stated that this is the best paint for an outdoor basketball court. The application of the paint is so easy that you can do it yourself and don’t need any labor to hire for this task.
The manufacturer claims that this paint could cover approximately 100-125 square feet per gallon. Mix it well with a suitable paint mixer and drill, apply on the surface and enjoy playing on your basketball court. You will get a superior result also if you apply this paint on a basketball pole.
- Colorfast coating
- Anti-skid formula
- Fresh appearance even after years
- Easy to apply
- Large area coverage
- Great customer service
- Some users find the mixing pretty much difficult
4) Plutonium Paint PLUTON
Plutonium Paint PLUTON is ultra supreme professional aerosol paint which is clearly declared the best paint for a basketball rim. It’s ideal for many surfaces like metal, wood, wicker, masonry, rubber, paper, and plastics. It ensures a smooth, fade-resistant, durable finish.
It could also be applied on the basketball court. Just mark the area needed to paint. Simply spray the aerosol paint. In five minutes your court will be in usable condition.
The plutonium paint PLUTON is just a blessing in the case of metal surfaces.
If your basketball pole or your basketball rim faded away, just spray this phenomenon paint and get a fade-resistant, durable, shining result.
- Instant dry, just in 3-5 minutes
- 360-degree angle spraying ability
- Safe and easy to apply
- Extremely flammable, could blast in the touch of fire.
- In very cold or high humid situations it takes more time to dry
5) ifloortape White Reflective Marking Tape
The ifloortape outdoor pavement marking tape is the best marking tape available in the market. This excellent tape gets stuck very easily with rough or smooth surfaces like asphalt, pavement, concrete, etc.
This aluminum marking tape is designed to provide high visibility in low light. floor tape foil marking tape reflects lights at night and becomes highly visible if exposed to car headlight, road light, etc.
- Highly adhesive to rough and smooth surfaces
- Highly reflective
- Visible at low light
- Perfect for lining up or marking the court.
- Very durable
- Stickable to any surfaces like wood, concrete, asphalt.
- Best for basketball or tennis court marking. The driveaway marking is questionable.
How to paint a basketball court
- Consider the surface: First of all, consider the elements of your basketball court. Does it on a driveway, asphalt, concrete, or plywood?
- Choose the right paint for the surface: after selecting or identifying your basketball court surface, go for the paint which suits your surface most. We have suggested five best paints for the most used surfaces.
- Clean the surface: clean the selected surface properly. Because if you apply paint on a dirty surface, it won’t last long. Wash the whole court with water if needed.
- Apply the correct dimension: I always recommend applying all things as a regular dimension. Whether your basketball court is single or double, apply the regular size of three-point, rim diameter, hoop size, blackboard, everything. In case, if you don’t have any idea about or have a little hesitation about the right dimension of the basketball court, you could check our dimension article.
- Use Stencil kits to mark the court: this is a far better option than any other way. After the application of regular measurement, use stencil kits to mark the court and apply the paint so easily. You can watch the below video, Ronan Sports Pro Kit Marking Stencil Tutorial | RONAN SPORTS
- Use marking tape to make the stencil kit stuck to the surface: Stuck your stencil kit to the surface. If the basketball is in a windy area, stick the stencil kit with the marking tape we have recommended in this article above.
- Paint through spray: paint the line first, after painting the line, go for the rest of the court. In my opinion, Paint through spray will be the best option. Because in this way, the paint goes inside each particle and gives good results
- Let it dry: Now just wait until the paint dries properly. Some paints take a huge time to dry totally.
Frequently Asked Question
Should I paint my concrete basketball court?
Painting of outdoor basketball courts like concrete increases the durability of the court, bounce ability of the ball, and traction of the players. If you paint your court, it will look better, give a better feel, and improve safety.
What kind of paint do you use on a concrete basketball court?
It has been proven that acrylic paint is the best paint for outdoor basketball courts. It will give you an anti-skid facility with a better look and durability.
What is the rule about time in the paint in basketball?
A defender is only allowed to stay three seconds in the paint without guarding anyone.
Choosing paint for the basketball court is not such an easy task. Considering the applying surface, material, and types of paint make the task far easier.
In this article, I’ve suggested some of the best paints and their best applying surfaces.
Hope this article helps you, if you have any question, inquiry, or suggestion about this article, please comment below. We will be here to assist you.
Related Post For You:
- How To Watch NBA Game For Free
- Best Trampoline Basketball Hoop Reviews
- Best In-Ground Basketball Hoops
- Best portable basketball hoop
- Best Wall Mount Basketball Hoop
- Best Pool Basketball Hoops
David Harris is a former player and after many years of writing and testing hundreds of products associated with the game, created this website to share his tips, basketballs and gear. I look forward to continuing to grow and build this site and sharing great content.